So today is May 4th,2012- one day after my 49th birthday. And I would like to declare to myself and to the world today that by next year, in honor of my 50th birthday, I will have raised $50,000 for charitable causes in 5 continents, 25 countries. I will travel to every single one of these countries myself and will personally hand-deliver money to the people and organizations I have chosen. My mission is to get 1000 people to donate $50 to one of the countries/causes I have chosen to fund. The key is to keep the donation level at $50 and get as many people involved with this global project as possible ! :)
I will research organizations, schools, causes, etc for the next few months and with the help of my friends and family, I will choose where the raised money will go. People will be able to donate through an online site I will have created at www.Fiftyrandomactsofkindness.org and will also have the choice of what country and cause they would like to contribute to. I plan to have all money raised by my 50th birthday, May 3rd. 2013 and will then begin my journey around the world, distributing the raised funds in person to all those we gifted to !
These '50 random acts of kindness' will be "committed" without the recipients prior knowledge and I will show up in person and surprise them with their gift. The whole travel/giving experience will be filmed and will be later made into a documentary called something to the effect of "50 random acts" (or maybe just "50" to have fun with how the whole project revolved around this number !). A book will also be made of this experience and proceeds of both creative projects will be given to charity.
I am very excited about making my upcoming "milestone" of turning 50 all about giving back to people and places that have touched my life in one way or another. And I am, of course, very much looking forward to seeing how this dream of mine will evolve into something real and beautiful and wonderfully rewarding for all involved.
Bring it on "5-0"! I am ready for you, more than you will ever know ! :)

That is really beautiful. And inspiring. Where do checks go?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your message Jim ! I will be setting up on online site in the next couple of months where people can pay directly and choose what country/cause they would like to contribute to. If you have any country or organization that you are interested in my visiting/helping, please let me know ! Hope all is well in your world..warm aloha, melina :)
ReplyDelete